Canned green beans offer a variety of tastes all year long! You can add bacon, spices, vinegar, and more to give your recipe a flavor of its own! Below is a simple to follow recipe for canning green beans from www.FreshPreserving.com.
For 1-quart of Canned Green Beans:
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 lb green beans per quart
- Salt, optional
- Ball® Glass preserving jars with lids and bands
*You must process at least 2-quart jars or 4-pint jars in the pressure canner at one time to ensure safe processing.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- WASH and rinse beans thoroughly. Remove string, trim ends and break or cut freshly gathered beans into 2-inch pieces. Place prepared beans in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes.
- PACK hot beans into hot jars leaving 1-inch headspace. Add 1 tsp salt to each quart jar, 1/2 tsp to each pint jar, if desired.
- LADLE boiling water over beans leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on the jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. The lid should not flex up and down when the center is pressed.
Note: The processing time given applies only to young, tender pods. Beans that have almost reached the “shell-out” stage require a longer processing time. Increase processing time 15 minutes for pints and 20 minutes for quarts.
For reviews, tips, and tricks visit: www.FreshPreserving.com
Reference: Green Beans-Pressure Canning. (n.d.). Retrieved June 15, 2018, from https://www.freshpreserving.com/canning-green-beans–pressure-canning–ball-fresh-preserving-br1039.html